According to the Would you be ready for Cyber Attack? report from Business in the Community small businesses are not investing as much time or money into their own cyber-security as medium size businesses. The report also makes the point that often small and medium businesses can be a threat to the security of larger businesses that use their services. Whilst this seems like a sweeping statement, there are variations across sectors (with IT, telecoms and legal services most likely to have something in place) and regions of the UK.
The report concludes that larger businesses should be making their resources available to their smaller suppliers, to help everyone be safe online.
The key findings from the report include:
- only 35% of small and medium businesses have a data protection policy – have an internal position on data protection is a key part of ensuring GDPR compliance across a business along with ensuring your staff are trained any understand the basics
- only 29% of small and medium businesses have a policy in place for controlling access to systems
- only 25% of small and medium businesses have a cyber security strategy
- 40% of small businesses have not undertaken any cyber security actions like taking our insurance or training staff
- small businesses likely to think staff cyber-security risk training is not necessary
Providing cost-effective, simple to understand and practical GDPR and ePrivacy advice and guidance, via my one-stop-shop helpline. I ❤️ GDPR